Working towards a PhD means conducting research, writing a dissertation and defending your findings at a public defence ceremony. The PhD Regulations, adopted by the Doctorate Board, set out who is eligible to become a PhD candidate, what the tasks of the supervisor and co-supervisor are and the criteria that the dissertation has to meet.
The PhD Regulations 2015 have become effective on 8 February 2015. The main changes can be found in the document ‘Brief explanation of the most important changes to the PhD Regulations’.
- PhD Regulations 2015 (pdf)
- Brief explanation of the most important changes to the 2008 Regulations (pdf)
The minimal requirements for the supervision, training and facilities for PhD candidates are laid down in the PhD guidelines.
The 2008 PhD Regulations were valid until 8 February 2015. From that date, the new, amended Leiden University PhD Regulations 2015 (as listed above) apply. However, in a number of cases, the 2008 Regulations continue to apply. These cases are described in articles 40 – 41 of the 2015 PhD Regulations.
It is important that the dean and the Graduate School of the faculty where the PhD research takes place and the beadle of the University have all the information needed for the PhD procedure. A number of appendices to the PhD Regulations are therefore available that should be submitted at the points in time described in the Overview of PhD Procedure (PhD Regulations 2015).
- Appendix 1 Request for exemption from the educational requirements relating to admission to the PhD programme.
- Appendix 1a Request to be admitted to the Graduate School; forms are available at the individual Graduate Schools.
- Appendix 2 Letter from the PhD candidate to the dean regarding the willingness of the professor to act as supervisor.
- Appendix 3 Letter from the supervisor to the Dean regarding approval/rejection of the manuscript of the dissertation.
- Appendix 3a Letter from the dean to the PhD candidate regarding the alternative procedure for dissertations in the Arts.
- Appendix 4 Licensing agreement for the inclusion of the dissertation in the Leiden University Institutional Repository.
- Appendix 5a Letter from the supervisor to the dean proposing members of the Doctorate Committee.
- Appendix 5b Letter from the dean to the supervisor regarding the appointment of the members and secretary of the Doctorate Committee.
- Appendix 5c Letter from the secretary of the Doctorate Committee to the Dean regarding the approval of the manuscript of the dissertation by the Doctorate Committee.
- Appendix 6 Letter from the dean to the PhD candidate regarding admission to the defence of the dissertation.
- Appendix 7 Registration by the PhD candidate with the beadle for the defence of the dissertation (web form).
- Appendix 8a Letter from the supervisor to the dean regarding the composition of the Opposition Committee.
- Appendix 8b Letter from the dean to the beadle regarding the appointment of members of the Opposition Committee.
- Appendix 9 Cum laude regulations.
- Appendix 10 Procedural requirements for the PhD diploma (link coming soon)